Complaints about pets

Most complaints we get are about barking and roaming dogs or roaming cats.


Barking Dogs can seriously disturb neighbours over quite a large area. 

Dogs can also be a nuisance if they're allowed to roam. They can damage property and gardens and attack or chase people, animals and vehicles.

We also get complaints about dog poo - from roaming dogs or dogs whose owners ignore their responsibility to pick it up, on paths and in parks and other public places.

What can you do?

  • If you're concerned about barking, roaming or other nuisance behaviour, first speak to the dog's owner as they may not realise that their pet is creating a nuisance. If there is no amicable solution, contact us.
  • If that doesn’t work, complete our noise diary log sheet for barking dogs for 10 days and send the completed form to If there is no amicable solution, contact us.
  • Report dog attacks on people or other animals to us or Albury Police.
  • If you suspect that a dog or cat is being mistreated, please contact the RSPCA.


Roaming cats can be not only a nuisance to neighbours but also, as predators and a threat to the natural environment. Unlike dogs, cats are nearly impossible to fence in, so their capacity to roam is much greater.

We get a lot of complaints about roaming cats, but our rangers have no regulatory authority to seize a cat unless it's in an area where cats are prohibited or it has attacked a person or another animal.

What can you do?

  • If a cat is causing a nuisance on your property, first speak to its owner if you can, as they may not know about the cats behaviour.
  • If you don't know who owns the cat, you can contact us and ask for a cat trap.