How did Noreuil Park get its name?
The answer lies with the 'Albury Battery' (13th Battery – 5th Field Artillery Brigade), which helped capture the French village of Noreuil in April 1917.
The ex-servicemen of the Albury Battery, working on a Commonwealth grant project, had cleared an area along the Murray River and the new park needed a name. 'AIF Park', 'ANZAC Park' and 'Victory Park' were suggested, but the mayor, Alderman Alfred Waugh, wanted something distinctly 'Albury' about the name.
He interviewed a number of ex-members of the Albury Battery and the consensus was that their finest achievement during the war was the action just outside the village of Noreuil in April 1917. There, the battery had been surrounded, but had stood to their guns and played a major role in driving back the enemy.
At a meeting on 30 September 1919, the Works Committee of the Albury Municipal Council took up the mayor's suggestion and named the newly created park on the banks of the Murray River, 'Noreuil Park'.
The Noreuil Australian War Grave Cemetery in Rue de Ia Chapelle, France, contains the remains of 244 Australian and Commonwealth soldiers. Some of the 'Albury' Field Artillery Battery soldiers were exhumed from the Noreuil area and re-interred in the nearby Queant Road War Cemetery.