Food and Drink

Good food safety is the foundation of any food business. Local businesses that serve food to the public are regulated by AlburyCity and the NSW Food Authority.

How we monitor food safety

We work with food businesses to improve hygiene standards through inspections and seminars. We also advise and approve new businesses, check for contamination, follow up on complaints and make sure businesses comply with the food safety laws and standards.

Food safety inspections

Our environmental health officers regularly inspect food businesses and advise them about hygiene practices. These inspections may include microbial analysis of food-contact surfaces and other possible sources of cross-contamination.

For advice on food safety or complaints about food quality, contaminated food or unclean premises, submit an online query.

Food -handler training

AlburyCity provides free online food handler training available from almost any internet connected device.  The training, managed by Environmental Health Australia, is called “I’m Alert” and is available here:

Please note that the training provides some basic skills and knowledge to food handlers but it is not an alternative to, nor provides any official credits towards, the NSW Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) certificates required by most food businesses.  For more information regarding FSS requirements see

If you are unsure which qualifications are required for your food business please contact the NSW Food Authority at or ring them on 1300 552 406 or contact our Natural Environment Administrator on 02 6023 8183.

Name and shame scheme

The NSW Food Authority’s name and shame scheme publicises food businesses that fail to meet certain standards.

Setting up a food business?

The following document outlines the steps involved in getting approval to start a food business:

You’ll need to submit one of the following AlburyCity forms (if you unsure which form to fill out, please contact one of our Environmental Health Officers on 02 60238111:

Other resources:

Notify us of any changes

If your business closes, stops trading, moves, opens another business, sells to a new owner or changes its trading name, please contact AlburyCity's Environmental Health Officers on 02 6023 8111. We may contact you if we need more information. There’s no fee involved.