How do I manage a fine (penalty infringement notice)?

Our rangers are trained to assist members of the public with their requests for information and advice. This includes advice on how to manage or  pay a penalty infringement notice. 

However, they cannot withdraw a notice once it has been issued or commenced. Once a notice has been issued, there is an appeals procedure which is indicated on the reverse of the penalty notice.

It is important to be aware that Councils do not set or amend fine penalties – they are set by legislation.

Paying the Fine

You must pay the fine within 21 days of it being issued. You may pay by:

  • Online (MasterCard and VISA Card accepted) at the NSW State Debt Recovery Office
  • Phone: 1300 130 112 (MasterCard and VISA Card accepted)
  • Post: Attach a cheque or money order (with penalty notice number written clearly on the back) to the State Debt Recovery Office, PO Box 4444, Parramatta NSW 2124
  • Post Office (bill pay): Pay in person at any Post Office

Payment must be made to the State Debt Recovery Office.

Please note that Council does not accept payment of fines.


If you believe a fine was incorrectly issued or you are having trouble paying the penalty amount, you will need to write to the State Debt Recovery Office which adjudicates representations on behalf of AlburyCity and other councils. Visit the website or write to:

The State Debt Recovery Office
PO Box 786
Strawberry Hills NSW 2012