Lost and found animals

What to do if your pet goes missing

  • Report your microchipped pet as missing on the NSW Pet Registry
  • Ask around among your neighbours and in nearby parks to see if anyone has seen your pet
  • Check online to see if your pet is listed on the Albury Wodonga Pound website
  • Contact animal rescue operators in Albury Wodonga or the RSPCA to see if they have rescued your pet.

If your pet ends up in the pound

Our rangers will return your missing dog or cat to you if it’s microchipped and registered with up-to-date details. Otherwise we won’t know how to find you and will need to keep the pet at the Albury Animal Management Facility.

When you claim a missing pet from the pound you will need to pay a fee. We may also follow up with you about the incident that led to your cat or dog being taken to the pound, which may involve a fine.

If you find a lost pet

If you find a dog or cat that seems to be lost, approach cautiously until you’re sure it’s friendly. If the animal is wearing a collar and ID tag, try to contact the owner directly. If there isn’t a tag with contact details, you can take the dog or cat to a vet and ask them to scan for a microchip so that you or they can contact the owner. Submit an online enquiry if you are unable to connect the dog or cat with its owner.