Welcome to Wiradjuri Country
Gawaimbanna-gu wiradjuri nhurranbaang
We acknowledge the Wiradjuri people on whose traditional lands AlburyCity is located.
The history culture, diversity and values of all Indigenous1 people are recognised acknowledged and respected.
We recognise that Indigenous1 people have experienced social injustice and racism since the commencement of colonisation in Australia.
We expresse deep sorrow over the unjust policies and practices that have prevailed in Australia’s relationship with Indigenous1 people.
We regret that these actions and attitudes have occurred and ensure such practices will not be repeated.
We acknowledge the ongoing effects of such practices on the lives of Indigenous1 people.
We are commited to working in partnership with the Indigenous1 community to strive towards empowerment for the betterment of the Indigenous1 community of Albury.
Our commitment to the Indigenous community of Albury
We recognise Indigenous1 knowledge, understanding and experience. AlburyCity accepts responsibility to develop an awareness and appreciation of Indigenous history and society in our community and to protect and preserve the environment and significant sites
- The right of all Indigenous1 people to empowerment and self-determination.
- The Promotion of local Indigenous cultural heritage in a way that is significant and respected and desired by the Indigenous1 people
- The protection of traditional and contemporary sites and artefacts.
- Recognition and support for the Aboriginal Advisory Committee in its role of adviser to AlburyCity counsellors and staff on programs and activities, related to Indigenous1 people and cultures
- Recognition of Aboriginal Elders and workers as key facilitator’s of consultation with the Indigenous1 community, leading to positive ongoing relationships that enhance the capacity of AlburyCity, and Indigenous1 people and the community to work together towards a better future
- To work towards an ongoing employment strategy and the development and adoption of policies and procedures for all staff to respect cultural differences,
- To support activities that work towards the process of reconciliation and enhance opportunities for Indigenous1 Australians
- To work in partnership with Indigenous1 and non Indigenous community in joint projects such as Wonga Wetlands Wiradjuri Interpretative Centre and Mungabareena Reserve
- To Identify in consultation with Indigenous1 community, cultural sites and artefacts related to traditional and contemporary Indigenous Culture
Indigenous1 In this document the word Indigenous includes Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islanders, Indigenous, Traditional owner and Indigenous Australians. These terms reflect community and government terminology as well as national and international conventions. Other Indigenous groups may use language name to identify themselves ie Wiradjuri
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islands Protocols
For more information about how we will promote respectful relationships between AlburyCity and the local Aboriginal community read our protocols.