AlburyCity acknowledges the Wiradjuri people as the traditional custodians of the land in which we live and work and we pay our respects to Elders past, present and future for they hold the memories, culture, tradition and hopes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people that contribute to our community.
Albury, or Bungambrawatha, has always been a place used by both Indigenous people and the region’s early settlers to cross the Murray River. Over time, it has grown from a police station, to a town, and finally to a city in 1946.
Albury was formally declared a city on 18 December 1946 in the Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales.
Albury did not officially celebrate its new city status until 10 April 1947, when an event was held which was attended by the Governor of New South Wales, Lieutenant General John Northcott.
The declaration of city status acknowledged the growth of the town and anticipated the role it might play as a regional centre in accord with Government’s plans for decentralisation. The declaration boosted local economic confidence, stimulated further growth in the population, and encouraged the development of a rich and varied cultural life.
Albury & District Historical Society have been involved in recognising 75 years since Albury was proclaimed a city. Bruce Pennay has produced and narrated three videos for the Society to track Albury becoming the city it now is in 2022. You can watch these on their YouTube channel.
Albury City 1947 float on Dean Street, 1947, AlburyCity Collection ARM 19.023.14
Maples float, 1947, AlburyCity Collection ARM16.022
Congratulations Albury float, 1947, AlburyCity Collection ARM 16.026